Ferry Runs Aground in Brooklyn, Injuring a Crew Member

One crew member was injured and more than 100 passengers were evacuated after a ferry ran aground near the shoreline of Bushwick Inlet Park in Brooklyn on Saturday afternoon, police and fire officials said.

Reports began surfacing around 4:15 p.m. that the boat had run into trouble near the park in the Williamsburg neighborhood and was taking on water, the police said.

The crew member was not critically injured, Michael F. Gala Jr., the Fire Department’s deputy assistant chief of fire operations, said at a news briefing on Saturday.

The crash occurred after the boat experienced a mechanical problem that led it to lose power and its ability to steer properly, the ferry company, Seastreak, said in a statement on its website.

The ferry, named the Commodore, was traveling from Highlands, N.J., to East 35th Street in Manhattan when it began to drift and landed on the shore, the company said.

Seastreak provides daily service between Atlantic Highlands and Highlands in New Jersey and areas of New York City, including Lower Manhattan.

Images on social media showed the boat tipping slightly to the side and emergency responders removing passengers from the vessel. Officials said none of the passengers had gone into the water, and many of those evacuated were taken to the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

The boat was still taking on water around 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, but Chief Gala said responders were “winning the battle to dewater” it.

Ian Christner of the Bronx was traveling with his wife and two children. He said that as the ferry had passed beneath the Brooklyn Bridge, it began to drift to the Brooklyn side.

Crew members instructed the passengers to be seated, Mr. Christner said, and soon after he could feel the ferry running aground. Thomas Wynne, a Seastreak spokesman, said in an interview on Saturday that the warnings had come about 45 to 60 seconds before the boat ran aground, adding that the company was still investigating the event.

Another passenger, Demetra Privette, 32, of Sea Bright, N.J., described the experience as “a little panic-inducing,” adding that passengers could feel the ferry running aground and shaking.

Ms. Privette said crew members had told passengers to go to the starboard side to balance the weight.

The crash on Saturday was less severe than another Seastreak crash in 2013. Several dozen passengers on a commuter ferry were injured when the vessel struck two slips at Pier 11, at South Street and Gouverneur Lane.

Kristen Bayrakdarian, Becca Foley and Ian Trontz contributed reporting.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *