Centre had last week objected to the AAP government flagship scheme and conveyed that it cannot use the highly subsidized food grains from the central pool under National Food Security Act for the scheme.
Delhi cabinet, chaired by chief minister Arvind Kejriwal, on Wednesday approved the doorstep delivery of the ration scheme to be rolled out without any name.
The original name of the scheme, Mukhyamantri Ghar Ghar Ration Yojana, which was expected to be rolled out on March 25 this year, will not have any name due to the objection by the Centre.
03:05Delhi: Doorstep ration delivery scheme not to be under any name
The Delhi government will send the cabinet approved scheme to the Centre for its approval. Since the scheme is covered under the National Food Security Act, the approval of the Centre is needed for rolling out the scheme.
CM Kejriwal said beneficiaries face several issues while collecting the ration from the subsidised ration shops and at times people are not able to get the ration. It prompted the Delhi government to deliver packed ration at the doorstep.
The Centre’s objection to the scheme came as a shock for the Delhi government.
“Perhaps the Centre objected to the word ‘Mukhyamantri’. Thus, we decided to roll out the scheme without any name,” said CM.
The AAP government hopes that the Centre will give its nod to the revised scheme. Under the new scheme, wheat flour, rice, and sugar will be delivered to homes in packed bags.
The government believes that the delivery of packed ration in place of loose ration being given currently will help weed out the ration mafia and the beneficiaries will get maximum advantage of the scheme.
Moreover, taking ration at subsidized rates from a Public Distribution System (PDS) Shop will become optional.
The central government sends the ration which gets distributed through the ration shops and now Delhi government will send the ration to the homes of the individuals.
“We do not want any kind of credit for this scheme and that is why the name of the scheme will be removed. No mention of Mukhyamantri will be there,” Kejriwal said, adding that the Delhi government does not want any credit but to provide ration in good quality and quantity to the people.
The doorstep delivery of ration has been a victim of confrontation between the Delhi government and the Centre.
It is a brainchild of Kejriwal who struggled for years together to make the public distribution system transparent saying that the system was a victim of the ration mafia before jumping into politics.
The government says the scheme is designed to weed out the ration mafia and ensure that people get ration in proper quantity and quality.
The scheme was designed in early 2018 but could not be passed because the lieutenant governor had different views and asked the elected government to send the proposal to the Centre with all implementation details for approval.
It was one of the reasons behind Kejriwal and his ministers holding days-long dharna inside Raj Bhawan in June 2018. Later the food department referred the file to the law department to seek its opinion amid confrontation over the issue.