Delhi: She killed husband, cops waited for 10 years to nab her | Delhi News – Times of India

NEW DELHI: Shakuntala was 18 when she was married to a man, Ravi Kumar, 22, against her wishes. She was dating a youth at that time and hatched a plot to eliminate her husband. They strangled the man in 2011 and buried the body in Alwar where Shakuntala’s boyfriend had a business.
The case was soon transferred to the crime branch as the local police failed to make a breakthrough. The suspects then exhumed the body and threw the remains across a 70-km stretch between Alwar and Rewari thinking that cops wouldn’t be able to establish a murder in the absence of a body.
For 10 years, Shakuntala managed to play cat-and-mouse with the police.
A year after the murder, she began to live with her boyfriend, Kamal Singla, in Rajasthan. In 2017, the two got married, secure in the belief that the heat was off.
However, the cops had not given up. Tipped off by a relative, they managed to track down the couple in Rajasthan in 2019 and arrested Singla from their house. However, Shakuntala managed to give them the slip again.
The manhunt has finally ended with the crime branch sleuths managing to arrest Shankuntala, now 28, after another tip-off by an acquaintance blew her cover.
According to joint commissioner (crime) Alok Kumar, the police had announced a reward of Rs 50,000 for her arrest. Kumar said that when Shakuntala returned to Alwar, cops from Special Operation Squad-II received a tip-off about the area where she might be staying.
“The team spent nearly a fortnight in Alwar and conducted a door-to-door inquiry and finally tracked her down on July 17. She was produced before a court and has been taken on two days remand for interrogation,” Kumar added.
During her initial questioning, Shakuntala is claimed to have told the cops that her first husband, Ravi, had got to know about her affair with Singla and had put restrictions on her stepping out of home or talking on phone. So, she hatched a plot with Singla to get rid of him.
On March 22, 2011, she requested Ravi to take her to her sister’s house in the Samalakha area. Singla met them midway and they strangled Ravi with a rope. They drove to Rajasthan with the body and buried it there.
Initially, Ravi was supposed to have gone missing and a case of abduction was registered only on April 16. As his family alleged foul play, the case was transferred to the crime branch after which Shakuntala went underground.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *