Delhi: Another arrest in interfaith marriage violence as couple goes into hiding | Delhi News - Times of India

Delhi: Another arrest in interfaith marriage violence as couple goes into hiding | Delhi News – Times of India


NEW DELHI: A fifth member of the mob that caused mayhem after an interfaith marriage at Harijan Basti in Sarai Kale Khan on Saturday has been arrested.
The couple in question, however, has been changing their location for their safety.
The boy’s family has returned to their house even as police and paramilitary forces remain deployed in the area to quell any disturbance.
The two decided to get married after the girl’s family got her engaged to another man on March 20.
The youth’s family had approached the girl’s in December last year after her parents got to know about the affair.
When they refused to relent and accept the relationship, the couple decided to get married without their blessings.
On March 17, the couple did a court marriage and then appeared in front of police informing them that they had got married willingly.
DCP (Southeast) RP Meena said, “We arrested Mohammad Ali (25) on Monday. Earlier, we had arrested Farman, Sharukh, Hasan and Raja. The mob had damaged 20-30 vehicles. We are checking more CCTV footage to ascertain the number of people involved in the violence.”
The youth’s sister told TOI that he was the only son among three siblings. “We don’t want to lose him. When he told us about the relationship and willingness to get married, we were hesitant. They had been in a relationship for around two and a half years. The girl’s parents got to know of it in December. My father went to the girl’s house to tell her family that the two were in love and they should peacefully get them married. After the girl was abused and hit by her family members, she hid behind my father and told him she would only get married to my brother,” she added.
“We were scared for him as the girl’s family had threatened them both. We left for a wedding at our uncle’s house. In the meantime, my brother and she got married in court. Both then approached police after which the families were called. Later, a mob gathered and it became difficult for them to even walk out of the police station. They left with the help of the cops and went to a relative’s house. But after people got to know their location, they shifted to another place,” said the boy’s sister.
The boy’s father said, “We are glad we were not at home when the mob struck, else we would have been killed. We ourselves took my son and the girl to the police station. The mob damaged so many vehicles and used religious slur at us. Who will compensate for the loss? We hope they don’t harm any of our family members.”


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *